Grand Lotto 6/55 What Are Currently Hot Or Cold

As of the last draw (3 Sept 12), below are the positions of each lotto 6/55 number.

PositionLotto NumbersTotal #sRemarks
(Gray) Currently hibernating91Not winning for the last 27 draws
(Blue) Winter4, 12, 14, 21, 32, 51, 557Cold numbers not winning for the last 15 draws
(Brown) Autumn7, 10, 11, 16, 18, 19, 20, 23, 26, 33, 34, 38, 40, 43, 44, 4716Numbers turning cold; have not won for the last 9 draws
(Yellow) Spring5, 25, 29, 48, 505Neither hot nor cold; last won during the 7th to 9th draw (counting backwards)
(Orange) Summer (singles)1, 2, 13, 15, 17, 27, 28, 30, 31, 37, 41, 42, 45, 46, 49, 52, 53, 5418Hot numbers that have won once during the last 6 draws
(Red) Summer (multiples)3, 6, 8, 22, 24, 35, 36, 398Hot numbers that have won more than once during the last 6 draws.

Without giving detailed stats, let me explain what the numbers reveal. There are 31 lotto numbers in the hot zone (summer and spring). There are 24 lotto numbers in the cold zone (autumn and winter). If there are 24 red balls and 31 blue balls in one basket, what is the probability that you will pick red balls versus blue balls? Without using calculation, you can get the answer. If there are 40 balls in the basket, there is a chance that you can pick more red balls than blue balls. The larger the number (or population), the chances are greater.

Let's expand the colors. I labeled the seasons with different colors. Imagine that these are the colors of the balls in the basket. There are 18 orange balls and 16 brown balls. What are the chances that you will pick brown or orange balls? Most likely, you will pick 2 brown balls, 2 orange balls, 1 blue ball, and 1 red ball. Perhaps, that gives you an idea where the winning numbers may come from.

 (Update 9.6.12. To check if statistics serves us right, here's the result of the 5 Sept 12 draw: 16-20-28-08-27-51.)

In every rule, there is an exception

Is there a chance that you can pick more red balls than orange balls considering that there are more orange balls than red? Yes, in lotto randomness, everything is a possibility though not everything is highly probable. There is always an exception to the rule. That is the reason why at times the combination of the jackpot numbers are considered extraordinary, which means, the way the numbers were combined are outside the norm or standard factors.

Let's say, statistics say that 1 to 3 of the jackpot numbers usually come from the last 6 draws. That's the standard. The exception to the rule is that 4 to 6 numbers is also a possibility though it's rare. It is also possible that the jackpot numbers can all come from the cold zones. But that is rare as well.

So, if you want to take greater risks, it is good to think out of the box from time to time.

Grand Lotto 6/55 Defining What's Hot And Cold

There's no absolute rule that determines what's hot or cold from a lottery. It's up to you to set your own rules.

Based on my observations, hot and cold numbers are not permanent. What's hot today may be cold after 9 draws. The all-time hot numbers, i.e. most frequently winning numbers of all time, do not usually win together. For example, the all-time hot numbers 26, 40, 55, 29, 34 and 18 have not made it to the jackpot; not even the 2nd prize. They have won 4 numbers twice though, and 3 numbers nine times. The reason for that is that, perhaps, these numbers do not belong to the same set of balls. Nevertheless, it's a good combination and winning the jackpot is not impossible. It's just a matter of timing – i.e. when all statistical factors are favorable.

Four Seasons: Defining the hot and cold zones

Here's how I categorized the last 21 lotto draws. I used the 4 seasons: summer, spring, autumn, and winter to define the hot and cold zones and those in between. The summer period refers to most recent draws while the winter refers to the earlier draws.
  • Summer. The hot season. This is the zone or period where you find the hot numbers. It refers to the last 6 draws. 
  • Spring. The numbers here are neither hot nor cold but they spring up to win from time to time. It refers to the next 3 draws prior to the last 6 draws. All in all, the summer period plus the spring period equals (the last) 9 draws. 
  • Autumn. This is the season when numbers turn cold. Count the next 6 draws earlier than the last nine draws, that's your autumn. 
  • Winter. This is the season when numbers turn colder and tend to hibernate. Prior to the autumn period, count another 6 draws and that's your winter. All in all, the full season covers the last 21 draws. 
Why 21 draws? The 21-draw period refers to the common time or period a cold number reaches its peak. When a cold number reaches its peak, it wins again. On record, the number 27 had turned cold and hibernated for a period of 67 draws. A hibernation period of greater than 21 draws is possible but rarely happens. A hibernation period covering 21 draws is what I consider the threshold. If a number has not won within this period, most likely it hibernates for a longer period. On the contrary, the numbers that stay in this period may win over and over again.

Some statistical tips

  • There's a 98% chance that 1 to 5 of the jackpot numbers may come from the summer season. 
  • There's a 97% chance that zero to 2 of the jackpot numbers may come from the spring season. 
  • There's a 98% chance that zero to 3 of the jackpot numbers may come from the autumn season. 
  • There's a 99% chance that zero to 2 of the jackpot numbers may come from the winter season. 
To interpret the data above, take for example the winter season. There's a 99% chance that zero to 2 of the jackpot numbers may come from the winter season. That means that there's only 1% chance that 3 numbers or more may come from it. In other words, 3 cold* numbers do not usually win all at the same time from this season. Either only 1 cold number, 2 at most, (from the winter season) or none at all. (*A cold number from the winter season is a number that has not won for more than 15 draws. This may tend to hibernate after 21 draws of not winning.)

In A Nutshell

To define the hot and cold seasons of a recent lotto period, get the last 21 draws. Beginning from the latest one, divide the draws into 4 periods as follows: 6, 3, 6, 6 where each period covers 6 draws except for the 2nd period, which covers only 3 draws. I name the 4 periods in this order: summer, spring, autumn, winter.

What's the significance of this? You can establish high probability factors that may affect a winning number. For example, how many cold numbers should I play or how many hot numbers. What about the numbers that are neither hot nor cold? How many of them should I play?

In the future, I will tell you the exact statistics that determines how many winning numbers may come from each season.